This recipe instructs you to coarsely chop the chocolate. Our advise - leave a good amount of sizable chunks of chocolate. They become big, melty chocolate goldmines in the cake.
- 125 g flour
- 140 g whole wheat flour
- 125 g dark brown sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 115 g coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 80 ml Morgenster Lemon Enhanced Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 340 g mashed, VERY RIPE banana (~ 3 bananas)
- 60 ml plain yoghurt
- lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
FOR THE GLAZE
- 85 g sifted dark brown sugar
- 55 g icing sugar
- 4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and place rack in the centre. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the chocolate pieces and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, eggs, mashed banana, yoghurt, zest and vanilla.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and fold with a spatula until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown (about 50 minutes).
- You want to get the beautiful colour on the cake, but at the same time you don’t want to bake all the moisture out.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then turn the loaf out of the pan to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze.
- In a bowl whisk together the sugars and the lemon juice until smooth.
- When the cake is completely cooled, drizzle the glaze on top of the cake and spread with a spatula to cover.
Click here to download the recipe in pdf format.