Pastry Chef, Angie Boyd, co-owner of Sense of Taste Chef School in Maitland Cape Town, devised this recipe for Spiced carrot and pumpkin seed muffins.
• 3 Eggs
• 325 g Soft Brown Sugar
• 187ml Morgenster Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• ½ Banana, mashed
• 125 ml Pumpkin seeds
• 175 g Cake flour
• 3 ml Bicarbonate of soda
• 4 ml Baking powder
• 3 ml Cinnamon
• 1 ml Ground ginger
• 1 ml Mixed spice
• 2 ml Salt
• 225 g Carrots, grated
• 600 g Icing sugar
• 80 g Butter
• 30 ml Morgenster Lemon Olive Oil
• 160 g Cream cheese (smooth)
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. With the machine still running, slowly pour in the oil until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Add the banana and seeds and mix in well.
5. Sieve the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture gently.
6. Add the carrots and stir till just mixed.
7. Pour into muffin cups and bake at 180ºC for about 20 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
8. Yield: 12 muffins
1. Place the softened butter, lemon olive oil and cream cheese into the mixing machine bowl and use the whisk attachment. Whip until very light and fluffy.
2. One spoon at a time, add the sifted icing sugar until mixture is light.
3. Dollop spoonfuls onto each carrot muffin and serve.