What you will need:
2 cans full fat coconut milk
½ cup raw cacao powder, sifted
⅓ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup coconut nectar
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
⅓ cup fruity extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
1½ tablespoons vodka
flaky sea salt, for serving
How to prepare:
1. Add the coconut milk, cacao powder, coconut sugar, coconut nectar, and ⅛ teaspoon sea salt to a medium saucepan and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let boil for 1 minute and continue to stir with the whisk. Remove from the heat.
2. Pour the mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and vodka and allow it to cool on the counter for 45 minutes, whisking occasionally to release steam and help it cool, and then refrigerate until cold (about 1 hour).
3. Once chilled, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions (about 20 minutes) until just frozen. The texture will resemble soft-serve.
4. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container, laying parchment paper along the top to prevent ice crystals, and allow it to harden in the freezer for 3-4 hours, or until it reaches your desired consistency.
5. To serve, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 3-4 minutes, then scoop and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt.
The small amount of vodka helps to keep the ice cream from becoming icy and rock hard once frozen. The flavour is not at all detectable in the finished ice cream.
Click here to download the recipe in pdf format.