By Lorraine Swanepoel of Coco Vanilla Foods
Preparation time: 15min
Baking time: 25min
Makes: 12 mini tea cakes or one 20cm cake
• Zest and juice of 2 lemons
• 300 g polenta flour (cornmeal). 100 g can be substituted with ground almonds.
• 220 g (1 cup) brown sugar
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon coarse salt
• 200 ml Morgenster extra virgin olive oil
• 4 large eggs
• 10 ml vanilla extract
• 20 ml finely chopped fresh rosemary
• Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
• Non-stick cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Spray a silicon rose mould or any cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray. This recipe can also be used to make one 20cm cake.
Place all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and mix well with a hand whisk. Mix until well combined but be careful not to over mix the cake batter.
Divide the mixture into the rose moulds/cupcake pan
Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before unmoulding the tea cakes.
Let cool completely before dusting with icing sugar. For a sweeter touch mix the juice of one lemon with icing sugar to form a thick lemon icing to drizzle over the tea cakes.
Enjoy with a cup of tea, or a glass of Morgenster NU Sauvignon Blanc.