Ageing Our Wines
Morgenster Lourens River Valley
Nu Series 1
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lemon Enhanced Extra Virgin Olive Oil
White Truffle Enhanced Extra Virgin Olive Oil
« go back
Filet Mignon in Mushroom Wine Sauce
An easy, excellent recipe for filet mignon. The mushroom wine sauce is mouthwatering and will give you plenty of recipe requests. Perfect for any occasion.
• 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
• 2 Tbsp Morgenster Extra Virgin olive oil, divided
• 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, thickly sliced
• 1 small or ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
• 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dry thyme if you must)
• 4 (6 oz each) filet mignon steaks (about 1½" thick)
• ½ cup Nu Merlot 2013
• 1½ cups low sodium beef broth
• ½ cup heavy whipping cream
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium/high heat and melt in 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil. Add thickly sliced mushrooms and cook 5 min until soft. Stir in onion and cook another 3 minutes. Press in garlic cloves then season with ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and 1 Tbsp fresh thyme. Cook another 2 min, stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant, then transfer mushroom mixture to a plate. Wipe the skillet clean with a wet papertowel.
2. Pat dry steaks with a paper towel and season all over with 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
3. Place the same pan over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil. When butter is hot and finished foaming, add seasoned steaks to skillet and saute, turning over once with tongs about 3-5 min per side for medium-rare (I cooked 5-6 min per side for medium doneness). If steak is browning too fast, reduce heat to medium. Use tongs to transfer steaks to the plate with mushrooms.
4. Add ½ cup Merlot and boil until reduced by half (3 min), scraping the bottom with a spatula to deglaze the pan. Add 1½ cups broth and boil until about ⅔ cup liquid remains (5-6 min). Add ½ cup cream and boil until sauce thickens slighly (2 min). Return mushrooms and steak to the pan and heat until warmed through (1 - 2 min). Season sauce to taste with more salt & pepper if desired (I added about ¼ tsp more salt).
Thinner steaks will cook faster and thicker steaks can take longer.
to download the recipe in pdf format.
P.O. Box 1616, Somerset West, 7129, South Africa
Map & Directions to Morgenster Wine & Olive Estate