What you will need:
• 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon Morgenster Balsamic Vinegar
• 1 ½ teaspoon sal
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
• 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1 cup Morgenster Lourensriver Valley 2012
• 2 tablespoons Morgenster Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 6 pounds meaty lamb shanks
• 2 medium onions, cut in wedges
16 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
How to prepare:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary, parsley, and garlic. Slowly mix in the red wine until combined. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook (in batches if necessary), turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Remove the shanks from the skillet with tongs and place in the bottom of a 5-quart crock pot. Top the shanks with the onion wedges.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms and carrots to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables start to soften. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and add to the crock pot.
4. Add the wine mixture to the skillet to deglaze the pan. Scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon or spatula. Bring the wine mixture to a simmer and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Carefully pour the wine mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot.
5. Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for 6-8 hours longer or until the shanks are tender.
Click here to download the recipe in pdf format