What you will need:
• 12” Pie Crust (recipe below)
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tablespoon Morgenster Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 3 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
• 2 small zucchini, diced
• ½ red onion, diced
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
• Pinch of red pepper flakes
• ¼ teaspoon coarse Kosher or sea salt
• ½ cup grated parmesan
• 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
• ¼ cup ice water
How to prepare:
1. In a large skillet heat olive oil, add onions, garlic, pepper flakes and thyme, cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Pie Crust:
2. Add tomatoes and cover skillet, cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes start to burst, remove cover and toss in the zucchini, reduce heat and cook until zucchini are just tender but not overcooked.
3. Allow the tomato zucchini mixture to cool to room temperature in a large bowl.
4. Preheat oven to 400°.
5. Place your rolled pie dough on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper.
6. Take half the parmesan cheese and mix it into the cooled tomato zucchini mixture.
7. Pile the mixture in the centre of the pie dough, leaving about 2” around, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, fold the dough towards the centre leaving an opening in the centre, overlapping as needed.
8. Prepare the egg wash by whisking 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water, brush on pie dough and then sprinkle a few bits of parmesan over your dough. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until brown.
9. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
10. Cut into wedges and serve warm or room temperature.
1. In a large bowl combine the flour and salt.
2. Scatter the butter over the top and cut with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture forms coarse crumbs about the size of peas.
3. Drizzle the ice water over the flour mixture and mix with wooden spoon or finger tips until the dough starts to come together.
4. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll into a 12” circle.
to download recipe in pdf format