What you will need:
• 1kg eggplant (aubergine), sliced into 5mm-thick rounds
• 2 sweet potatoes (kumara) (900g), peeled and sliced to 5mm-thick slices
• Morgenster extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
• sea salt and cracked black pepper
• 700g silverbeet (swiss chard), trimmed, shredded and blanched
• 1 cup basil leaves, plus extra to serve
• ¾ cup (75g) grated mozzarella
• micro (baby) basil leaves (optional), to serve
Cauliflower Béchamel Sauce
• 1.2kg cauliflower florets, chopped
• 1 teaspoon Morgenster extra virgin olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
• 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
• ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
How to prepare:
Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). To make the cauliflower bechamel, place the cauliflower in a large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 10–15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes or until soft.
Place the cauliflower, onion, garlic, milk, salt and parmesan in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
While you are making the bechamel, place the eggplant and sweet potato, in 3 batches, on 2 large oven trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 10–12 minutes or until softened.
Layer a lightly greased 3-litre-capacity baking dish with half the sweet potato, half the eggplant, half the silverbeet and half the basil leaves. Spread over half the bechamel. Repeat layering with the remaining ingredients.
Top with the mozzarella. Cook for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes before cutting.
Serve with the extra basil and micro basil. Serves 4.
to download recipe in pdf format