What you will need:
• ½ cup (120ml) milk
• ½ cup (120ml) lemon juice
• zest of 1 lemon
• 1½ cup (300g) sugar
• 1 cup (240ml) Morgenster Monte Marcello Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 3 large eggs
• 2 cups (240g) plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
6 tbsp Considered mixed berry and lavender jam
Remaining Considered lemon curd
• 2 cups (250g) icing sugar
• 4½ ozs (125g) very soft butter
• 3 tbsp Considered lemon curd
How to prepare:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
2. Grease and line two round tins (approx. 9x9 inch).
3. In a jug combine milk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar, for 3 mins until light then pour in the olive oil and whisk again for 3 mins until combined and emulsified.
5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
6. Fold in 1/3 the dry ingredients and 1/3 lemon juice and milk repeat until all combined.
7. Scrape the mixture into the prepared tins.
8. Bake in the oven for 30- 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then carefully remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
1. Place the butter, 1 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of lemon curd into a large bowl.
2. Beat until smooth.
3. Add the remaining sugar and lemon curd and beat again until smooth.
4. Place one of the sponges on a plate and smooth over the jam and the remaining lemon curd.
5. Place the second sponge on top. Smooth the icing all over the cake using a palette knife (I decided to do a semi naked finish).
6. Decorate with edible flowers*, fruit, chocolate eggs - I used primroses, blueberries, raspberries, pistachios, mint and chocolate eggs.
If you are using fresh flowers serve your cake immediately.
Click here for pdf version of this recipe